Noted as one of the lowest lying areas in England (Holme Fen lies 9 feet below sea level), Cambridgeshire is divided into six administrative districts, with the university town of Cambridge as its administrative centre.
The Cambridgeshire Area Golf Union is the governing body for the approximately 10,000 male golfers in the county who are members of 29 affiliated clubs. The Union is one of ten that form the Midland Golf Union – a body established in 1897 – and CAGU was the last to join in 1950.
The region doesn’t exactly bristle with world-class golf courses but the 36-hole complex at Gog Magog, the delightful parkland course at Saffron Walden and the unique Links Newmarket, stand head and shoulders above the crowd. Gog Magog's Old and Wandlebury courses are both challenging and the Old is a genuine centurion that has hosted the Lagonda Trophy since 1975 with Lee Westwood and Luke Donald among the previous winners.
Gog Magog (Old)
Gog Magog isn't the biblical final opponent of Israel, nor is it located in the heart of Wales, it's Cambridgeshire's favourite golf club...
Laid out within the surrounds of Audley End House, the course at Saffron Walden Golf Club was expanded to a full 18-hole layout in 1975 and its fairways are routed close to the 193-foot spire of St Mary’s Parish Church.
Golfers first played on the Hawtree-designed Wandlebury 18-hole layout at Gog Magog Golf Club in 1999. Eight years later, the R&A used the golf course for Open Championship Regional Qualifying.
Links - Newmarket
Built on a former Newmarket steeplechase course and polo grounds, the original 18 holes at Links Golf Club were set out in 1903. Colonel SV Hotchkin redesigned the layout in the 1930s and this stylish course is still the one that golfers play today.
Woods and lakes abound at Brampton Park Golf Club, where fairways wind around an undulating parkland landscape. The par three signature hole at the 4th – played to an island green – epitomises the golfing test here, as water comes into play at many of the holes.
Set within a 250-acre property that features two 18-hole courses and a 9-hole par three course, the Abbotsley course at the Abbotsley Golf Hotel was designed in 1975 then subsequently modified by Vivien Saunders, former British Women’s Open Champion.
The original 9-hole course at St Neots Golf Club – designed by Harry Vardon – was opened in 1912. A further nine holes were added in the mid 1960s when land became available to the north of the River Kym, forming an attractive 18-hole layout.
Peter Alliss and Dave Thomas designed the Thorpe Wood golf course. It’s one of the region’s best pay-and-play facilities and it’s also a serious test from the 7,086-yard tips.
First opened for play in 1993, the fairways at Elton Furze Golf Club are set out in two distinct 9-hole circuits, each returning to the clubhouse.
With fairways laid out on the site of a former prisoner of war camp at Barton Field, the course at Ely City Golf Club was extended to 18 holes in 1973 and a challenge match between the then Open Champion Lee Trevino and Hugh Baiocchi marked the opening of the enlarged course.