Silloth on Solway - Cumbria - England

• +44 (0) 16973 31304

• Alan Oliver

• Davy Grant, Willie Park Jnr

• Jonathan Graham

At last, Silloth on Solway Golf Club’s reputation is becoming recognised more widely, thoroughly deserving its position in the Top 100 and one of England's best links courses.

Founded in 1892, with the help of Railway Company money, it was originally designed by Davy Grant (with a little help from Willie Park Jnr.). Silloth is famous for its affiliation with ladies' golf.

The famous Leitch sisters learnt to play golf on the Silloth links. Charlotte Cecilia Pitcairn Leitch (or Cecil as she became known), went on to be the best lady golfer in the world, winning a record four British, five French, two English and one Canadian titles. In 1910, Cecil played a match against Harold Hilton (one of the greatest male golfers of the time) over 72 holes, 36 at Walton Heath and 36 at Sunningdale. Sportingly, Hilton gave Cecil nine shots per 18 holes and found himself five holes up in the last round, with only the last 15 holes to play. Cecil, showing true grit, fought her way back and ended up winning on the 71st green 2 up and 1 to play.

Silloth has parliamentary connections too. Viscount Willie Whitelaw was the President of Silloth on Solway Golf Club until his death in 1999.

You have to make an extra special effort to get to Silloth because it is located in one of the most remote and isolated places in England, at the mouth of the Solway Firth. When you get to Silloth, it’s a surprise to see the nearby industry that slightly blots an otherwise perfect landscape.

With heather and gorse adding brilliant splashes of seasonal colour, this is a cracking links golf course. When the wind blows, it’s unlikely that you will play to your handicap. Even on a calm day, you’ll find it tough. "It is also the home of the winds," wrote Darwin, "when I was there the wind did not blow really hard, but hard enough to make a fool of me." Finding the tight greens is no mean feat and when you do, they are tough to read with their subtle borrows.

It’s well worth the time (and the money) to get to Silloth and once you get there, you won’t want to leave. You are at one of the best value golf courses in the whole of the British Isles.

If the above article is inaccurate, please let us know by clicking here

Reviews for Silloth on Solway

Av. Reviewers Score:

This is a very good links course, with some memorable holes. Outstanding collection of par 3's will test your control, especially if the wind blows. Surprisingly for a links course, the greens were very receptive, and the course was in super condition, even in November. A few blind holes might upset a few people, but comes with the territory. Its not as pretty, as difficult or in the condition of Dornoch but its well worth a visit, and represents excellent value for money at any time of the year

November 14, 2016

Respond to above review

Second visit here and it beat me up as badly as last time !!

First visit was ten years hence and my only memory was long brown grass and wind whereas this time I recognised little as it was lush green with loads of gorse patches and it was even windier.

The front nine was hellish hard in the main out into it, and although the obvious lessening of the wind at the turn (!!) I was so beaten up I could not fill my boots (as others did) on the seemingly easier wind-assisted home run.

Well worth a visit despite the "back end of nowhere" location but next time I really must take a golf swing with me.

Well worth its place in the rankings and is a tough - especially when it blows, which apparently it usually does - course so be warned but enjoy.

October 02, 2016

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Respond to above review
Played Silloth yesterday (23rd November) after an absence of 6 years. I raved about it years ago and it's still the real deal now. A thoroughly fantastic golf course and pure links. Every hole on the front nine is superb and it's hard to pick a best hole, although I do love the 9th (great par 3). Back nine is still very good especially the two par 3's (12th & 16th). Fab playing through, around and over the dunes. A course that you definitely have to take your A game to if you want to have a chance of scoring. And usually the wind is whipping in from the Solway Firth just to crank it up that bit more. Winter green fees are £28 which must be the best winter golf deal in the UK (the summer deals are still only £49!!!). If you make the trek to Silloth, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. (food in the 19th is fab too)!
November 24, 2015

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Respond to above review
I returned to Silloth today - eight years after my last visit - in expectation of a decent winter’s day out on the links under sunny blue skies and I’m glad to report that neither the course nor the weather disappointed. In fact, the course was WAY better than I remembered it from June of 2006. Silloth is most certainly the real golfing deal and I’m sure if it was located further south (even only as far as the Southport coastline) it would be lionized Silloth-on-Solway Golf Course - Photo by reviewernationally to a far greater extent. There’s so much to admire here – the frequent use of offset tees set at 45° to the fairway, the number of semi blind approaches to bathtub greens and the general ruggedness of the tumbling terrain, to name but a few of its attributes. And what a tester the (stroke index 1) 13th is: playing steadily uphill from the tee, with an intimidating ridge that slashes diagonally across the fairway, this is one tough par five if ever there was one, even from the regular tees! My only complaint (and it’s picky, I know) is the slightly cramped feel to the holes at 10 and 11, where out of bounds encroaches on the right of the fairways. I only mention this as I thought at the time: “all those unused acres to the left, between these two fairways and the Firth, and both holes end hard up against the perimeter fence?” Don’t let that minor gripe put you off though as Silloth’s a mighty links that’s well worth a visit, especially when the club charges less than 30 quid for a round in the close season – time to step in!! Jim McCann.
December 02, 2014

3 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Respond to above review
Utterly brilliant. Every holes a challenge and looks stunning! Warm welcome (not always the norm at some great Links venues). Greens are true and well sloped and some of the bunkers a delight! Will rush back but unfortunately not local. At £50 a round you just cannot believe it!
November 06, 2014

1 person found this review helpful
Respond to above review
I played in nice weather in September 2013. True to reputation, this course is an unheralded gem, limited only by it's somewhat remote location near the Scottish border. Greens and fairways were both in excellent shape, with a series of holes requiring longish, accurate shots. Three members joined me during my round, and one made the point that the course would be a viable entrant into the Open rota if it were 500 yards longer and locational logistics were more favorable. Hard to argue with that assessment, as the course does compare favorably to Lytham, Turnbery, Hoylake and others.
September 27, 2013

Respond to above review
Stopped off at Silloth on our way north to Fife in mid-June. Played in a 3-club wind with heavy rain for the final 9 holes of our round. Despite the conditions we enjoyed our round. On a number of fairways there were GUR marked out in hollows where presumably water had collected and remained over the Winter/Spring months. Otherwise the course was in excellent condition. Favourite holes were the short 9th and very tricky 13th. In my opinion, the two finishing holes are a little bland by comparison with what precedes them. Silloth is challenging and enjoyable in almost equal measure. This was my third visit and hope to go back again.
June 24, 2013

Respond to above review
However far off the beaten track this place looks, throw the map away and get yourself there, its well worth the effort. some fanastic holes, front nine has some memorable holes, quite a few with sunken greens in amongst the sand dunes so blind shots to flags .... you just know the greens down there somewhere. the back nine is little more forgetable but its a great test of golf. friendly enough welcome, and dont be put off by the 'ghost town' drive down the seafront to get to the course ... i guess it just adds to the isolated feel and nature of the place. if you make the effort to drive to here, also go that little bit further over the border and try Southerness which probably isn't that far over the Solway - as the crow flies....
June 06, 2013

Respond to above review
Played at Silloth in early may on a damp, dull day but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've played Silloth 5 times now and I love the course more each time I play it. The course was is fantastic condition and the greens were superb. In more recent years the course has become a little easier to play, especially from the tee, as much of the gorse has been removed from some holes but this does detract from the course. All in all I'd say that Silloth is without doubt the best value course in the UK.
May 22, 2013

Respond to above review
Played Silloth on a very cold windy and rainy day in March when it would have been really easy to hate it. But, I thought it fantastic. The first 9 I thought I was to have the round of my life, but then we turned into the wind and very nearly ruined our cards. The course is stunning, thought provoking, demanding but very fair. I would imagine that on a beautiful day it would be breathtaking and I only hope I get the chance to play it again like that. Off course the people were very welcoming and attentive and the refreshments are good and fairly priced. Back on the course I cannot single out an outstanding hole as they were all individual and special.
March 10, 2013