Remedy Oak - Dorset - England

• Clare Regan

• John Jacobs

• Nigel Tokely

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Remedy Oak

Remedy Oak opened for play in November 2005 and Englishman and former Ryder Cup Captain John Jacobs designed the golf course. Set in more than 250 acres of ancient woodland near Horton in Dorset, Remedy Oak immediately appears mature beyond its tender years. John Jacobs commented: “When I first saw the location for Remedy Oak, I knew it had the potential to be one of the best courses in the UK. To see it now, I feel that potential has been realised.”

With a girth of more than six metres, the Remedy Oak tree, which is located a couple of miles from the course, is legendary. Apparently the nine-year-old Boy King, King Edward VI sat under the oak tree and “touched for Kings Evil”. Kings Evil was a medieval custom whereby the King could touch and heal people with skin diseases.

Miracles cannot be guaranteed at Remedy Oak Golf Club but we can vouch for the fact that it’s perhaps the most exclusive golf club south of the M25 and the course is highly polished with immaculate tee to green grooming. Remedy Oak is also home to the Legends Charity Golf Classic, where cricketer Sir Ian Botham hosts an annual charity event in aid of Leukaemia Research.

Many people in the know reckon Remedy Oak is one of the finest inland golf courses in Britain but few people had the chance to experience the course when it first opened. Thankfully the club now welcomes visitors and the word on the street is that the rather expensive green fee is worth every penny.

If the above article is inaccurate, please let us know by clicking here

Reviews for Remedy Oak

Av. Reviewers Score:

The final stop on our Dorset tour. This is more your modern day club. A relatively new course, ranked number 2 in the county and its easy to see why. Its an experience – from the endless drive from club gates to car park, the welcome at reception, the introduction on the first tee, the practice facilities – everything is done to make your time at Remedy Oak a full experience.

As to the course, it costs a little more than its other illustrious neighbours of Ferndown and Broadstone, but for the sheer experience its worth the fee. Clearly its not the sort of green fee you’d be expecting to pay at your average local course, but as a one-off, whilst away on tour, definitely add it to the schedule.

The course is much more tree-lined, forest based than the gorse and heather of other courses in the area, and uses the natural landscaping well to carve out some lovely holes. As you’d expect from a modern course, water comes into play on numerous holes, each representing great “risk & reward” opportunities and also at the par 3 11th. The 18th too, is a great finishing hole across water from a downslope approach.

In terms of condition, this is the one area we felt the course could have scored a little better. The first green was not in good shape, it appears to sit in a shady area and as a result was strangely very slow (compared to the rest of the course). There were also several areas near to greens that seemed to be lacking of any maintenance which meant that it could be pot luck in the lie you acquired – of course if you hit a lot of greens then you wouldn’t experience this so much ! The greens in general appeared to quicken as we went around the course; we felt they were decent, if not the same quality of Ferndown. One other thing, some of the walks between greens and tees were a little excessive, but again this is typical of the modern day, buggy laden courses that are now the norm.

These minor things aside, we found the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable.

July 19, 2016

Respond to above review
Having played the majority of the top 100 courses, and more besides, it is no surprise that this course is ranked so highly after such a short life. In my humble opinion it isn’t ranked highly enough. The course has recently been closed for 7 or 8 months for the greens to be re-laid but you would never have known; the greens were excellent as was the rest of the course. The par 3s and the par 5s in particular were excellent with the par 3 4th at 224 yards being the pick of the par 3s and the 2nd and the 15th both excellent par 5s. I can only agree with comments made by others that the one aspect of the course that was really noteworthy was the incredibly friendly reception that everyone receives on arrival and throughout the stay. I just wish my golf and my back had allowed me to do the course justice. I for one will certainly be back. I couldn’t agree with the negative comment about the clubhouse, which fitted the course well – a modern classic.
October 12, 2015

2 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Response
Paul
November 01, 2015
Whilst there was a lot to like at Remedy - the site is fantastic, it has some great holes (14 and 15 from memory), there are many shortcomings. The routing is awful - lots of big walks between tees and greens, there are some poor holes (8 and 18 top of the list) and what should have been some high points like 2 are ruined by their heroic/penal risk/reward nature (water too close to the front of green to encourage more than some real long hitters to have a go). I played in August 3yrs ago and the course was much wetter than similar courses I had played on at that time, so drainage is clearly not good. I would rate it as a 4 - maybe 4.5 on a bright sunny day with some good run on the ball - and there are certainly better modern inland courses, not least Bearwood Lakes, Centurion, Queenwood and Woburn Marquess. Given the site, this was an opportunity missed but still, overall, a very nice course. I just wonder how it will survive given its more isolated location and three crackers at half the price in Bournemouth Paul
To this reviewer: this is the best new inland course built in recent years. It has one obvious drawback: it was built on clay, and does not drain very well. That said, given dry weather, with the possible exception of the slightly silly short par 4 8th, these are uniformly beautiful, nicely framed holes, with differing challenges, that require different shapes of shot. Every hole requires thought or it will bite you. Each is better for being cut through forest and mature trees, because the course looks much older than it in fact is.Very good conditioning, good greens, nice staff and all the amenities one could want.
July 07, 2013

Respond to above review
Third round at Remedy since the course opened and pleased to report that everything is maturing nicely and we have the makings of a modern classic here. The atmosphere at the club lends itself to plenty of enjoyment and a lot of relaxation which is certainly down to the environment and a team onsite of very customer focussed staff. I do try to make comparisons with other courses I play and try to group them together by style of course or age of course, so the obvious four would be Woburn’s Marquess, Wentworth’s Edinburgh and Brocket Hall’s Palmerston for the style and then Bearwood Lakes for the age (and also the course quality). After playing all of these several times now, I think I give Remedy Oak the top slot but only just as all of the others are 5-ball rated for me too. I mentioned the great 2nd hole in my review dated 19/09/2009 which is just a brilliant par-5 – other great holes include the long and testing good looking par-3 4th, the strong dog-legging 10th where you just have to be on the left of the fairway to set-up your approach shot and maybe the par-5 15th could challenge the 2nd hole as best on the course? This one has a creek running the length of the hole which has to be crossed twice before reaching a very tricky green. I wish the club plenty of success because they present a very good looking course and do it in a classy manner. Would also hope to see a positive move at the next re-rank.
June 01, 2013

Respond to above review
What a fantastic modern course. Built in an idyllic setting, it winds its way through beautiful natural Dorset countryside, with plenty of nature and wildlife to admire. No two holes are the same, with numerous water hazards, many deep vast bunkers and plenty of trees to navigate your way around. Stoke index 1 and 2 are extremely testing holes, both demanding a carefully placed tee shot to leave mid to long iron approaches. The par 5's are all spectacular, with the stand out hole being no.2 which requires an approach shot to a island green with water on 3 sides. It's a classy course and it keeps you interested all the way through. This could arguably be the finest non-heathland inland course in England, and I highly recommend playing it if you are given the opportunity.
May 18, 2013

Respond to above review
I had the pleasure of playing here on the 19th feb in a charity day & I had heard good things about this place so I was looking forward to the day very much.The practice range is very good but the putting green was closed which for such a grand place was a bit surprising. The course is laid out very well over a great piece of land & there is lots of good holes (with some very pretty back drops) that will test your all round game, This course reminds me of the new courses that have been built in Turkey over the last few years with lots of bunkers & very sloping greens which can lead to many 3 putts.The greens were very very wet which was a bit of a surprise to me as this course must have been built to a high standard & I did notice quite a lot of moss around the greens & tees but I guess this must be due in part to the very wet weather we have had this last year.My only disappointment was the club house it really dose not do the place justice it's to much like a big barn which is not that warm & welcoming & lacks a heart. But the staff were very nice & very helpful. I know people will say that the course is the most important thing & yes that's true but playing at such places should be more than just the course the whole experience is what playing at top venues is about to me. this is why I think places like The Berkshire, Sunningdale,Woburn & other courses have the edge over Remedy Oak.
February 22, 2013

1 person found this review helpful
Response
Dave Brown
February 28, 2013
I know the course pretty well and I have gone for a 5-ball ranking in the past, so a 4-ball is not a million miles away but I do have a small issue with this review though... An inland course in the south of England being a little wet in February after one of the wetest winters on record - not really fair to be critical I think. Plus comparing Remedy with The Berkshire and Sunningdale who have 100+ years of history and built of very different ground is also a little unfair. NB The three courses at Woburn have been very wet recently too. Lastly, I understand that the clubhouse is different to others but I have always found it welcoming .... plus the reviews should be only about the courses as the site is not called The Top 100 Golf Clubhouses in the World ... Now there is an idea....
adrian foster
November 13, 2015
I'm very sorry for giving my honest opinion on my day at this golf club As I said in my review the course was good with many great holes I think you will find that the club has relayed the green in the Last year so my comment about the moss was correct. The way I judge a day's golf is not just the course but the Whole package you get from the visit. If this is not relevant then why would he comment About the staff!
Had the pleasure of playing the course with a member and I was extremely impressed, upon arrival I was the first of my group and the staff could not have done enough for me, they even offered free range balls whilst I waited, and the range itself is top-notch, proper grass to play off and high quality range balls.As for the course, wow, wonderfully manicured and in a beautiful woodland setting. The greens are huge and undulating, be prepared from some good challenging putting! Despite a very enjoyable challenging course it is very forgiving in the right places and wayward shoots are not going to leave you feeling frustrated.Having played a number of the UKs premier courses this one now takes top billing for me.....cannot wait to go back!
August 12, 2012

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Respond to above review
I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who is a member here and have played here several times now. I love everything about Remedy Oak. It is peaceful, beautiful, a true test of golf and everyone is really friendly. The course is always in great condition with some huge greens. The course has been laid out using the natural terrain with enough water to keep you on your toes and several risk / reward holes. I love it here and although a tough test of golf, even if you do lose a few more balls than usual, you will remeber it as a spectacular course. A must play course
May 30, 2012

Respond to above review
Beyond good, bordering on golfing perfection. It is just a beautiful and challenging course that will bite you hard if you do not bring your best game (which I didn't).It is more of a thinking players course rather than one for the long hitters though it is by no means short and some of the par 3's will have you taking the big stick out of the bag. Massive greens and massive bunkers but never feels in anyway artificial or American. The yardage book will be the best £5 investment you will ever make before playing Remedy Oak and should be consulted on every shot.The presentation of the course is as good as you would expect and even through you are playing through a forest there is enough width on the fairways to make not it feel like it is a tight track, stick it into the trees though and you'll have to start fashioning some Mickelson esque Augusta shots.I was a little aprehensive before I went at how would the members take to a party of 12 visitors playing their course on a Saturday, after all they have paid a lot of money for a slice of exclusivity. I need not have worried, all of the members we met were fantastic and genuinely interested in how we were finding the Remedy Oak experience, a real credit to the club.The service from both the staff and the pro's at the club cannot be bettered, it doesn't feel pretentious or forced just geniune friendly customer service.Play this course if you can, the green fee is neither expensive or cheap it is affordable and when you put it next to other courses ranked higher (which are nowhere near as good) then it actually looks good value.As we were driving away the comments were 'best course I have ever played' and that sums it up, just bring plenty of balls....
May 17, 2012

Respond to above review
wondered if it would live up to the hype and it most certainly did. Seems to be compared regularly with Woburn, but for me was better ! A much more relaxed set up and in particular the first 3 par 5's are the equal of any course in the UK. Probably only 17 was a little under the standard of the rest..Par 3's also very strong. Staff couldnt be friendlier and at 95 pounds very good value. Worth the 2 hour trip
May 08, 2011