Ladybank - Fife - Scotland

• Fraser McCluskey

• Old Tom Morris

• Sandy Smith

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Ladybank

In the tranquil heart of the Kingdom of Fife lies an enchanting, sandy tract of land where the whin, heather and pine smells divine. The Howe of Fife provides Ladybank Golf Club with a natural shelter in the valley of the River Eden between Strathmiglo in the west and Cupar to the east. Ladybank is one of those courses that really should be a Top 100 regular, because it is one of Scotland’s very best inland courses. Clearly it’s up against some serious competition in Fife, but mix in this peaceful heathland surprise, alongside the more famous links courses in and around the Home of Golf, and we guarantee you will not be disappointed. You’ll certainly be less windswept!

In 1879, Old Tom Morris was charged with laying out a six-hole course. The layout was extended to nine holes in 1910, and in 1962, to 18 holes. Does anybody know who the architects were behind the new holes? Whoever it was, they did a fine job because it is hard to distinguish between the old holes and the new.

Ladybank is regularly used as a Final Open Qualifier and it’s a tough cookie where accuracy and positioning are all important. The smallish greens are always in outstanding condition but your iron play will need to be on song to find the firm and fast putting surfaces. The crisp fairways are relatively flat and even – it is very rare to get an uneven stance. Measuring over 6,800 yards, it’s a seriously challenging course – keeping the ball in play will pay dividends and save you from losing loads of shots and balls. The problem is that Ladybank teases and cajoles you into hitting a long ball – if you’re accurate, you’ll be rewarded handsomely. It’s a tricky call.

We are sure that there is a sprinkling of Worplesdon, a dash of Woking and spot of West Hill at Ladybank. But wait a moment, perhaps it’s the other way round, Ladybank was here first. Anyway, there is no doubt that Ladybank has got its own unique character and you will certainly receive an exceptionally warm welcome from the members. This is an absolute must-play course.

If the above article is inaccurate, please let us know by clicking here

Reviews for Ladybank

Av. Reviewers Score:

I´ve been playing Ladybanks twice. First time on my first visit to Scotland (for golf) in 2006 and the second time last summer during the Open. I must say it surprises me that Ladybanks has slipped through the rankings and is now outside the top 100. Perhaps it´s should not be compared to the great links-courses that sits above it in the ranks. But for me it should beat Dukes any day of the week. Last summer on the morning of the last day of the Open me and my son played and I found it to be the same as it was almost 10 years earlier. A very very good - what you see is what you get - heathland course with holes that mostly runs by themselves (even if its a small amount of land) and just feels pleasant to play. For me it´s the opposite to Dukes and in a good way. A perfect members course and a lovely way to spend a few hours on. We played it in around 3 hours without any rush. It was in great shape and the greens were the best I played all last year. I can agree that the holes are not super-memorable but that´s ok because there not one bad golf hole on the course and that's rare. Played Leven on the same trip and I would put Ladybank ahead of that as well - even if it´s not fair to compare 2 such diffent courses. So do it right and put Ladybank back in the top 100. It belongs there as an example of that a course does not need to have great view or billion dollar investments to be a good course. For everyone who loves to play a great course without the rush and hype of Carnoustie or Old Course, perhaps as a day off the links in high winds or just to take a breather. Go here - you won´t be disappointed.

July 12, 2016

Respond to above review
played this course a few times over the years and after a spell away returned in August for a round with friends to whom i had explained would be in for a treat.What a disappointing day we had. The fairways and greens were in very good condition but the rough was terrible. Being in the trees which line the fairway is punishment enough but having to look for your ball every time just becomes tedious and slows down play. Our group lost a number of balls some 6 - 12 inches from the fairway, and while we understand that its the fairways that are to be hit, it still rankles to lose a ball just off the fairway. Members didnt seem overly keen on the rough either when speaking to them, although they were very friendly and helpful.Overall the course itself is a great layout and a challenge to all levels of golfer but i think that the members should perhaps advise their committee to their views as i believe that the presentation of the course was much better when the rough was managed better.
September 20, 2012

Dr J Taylor Hill
November 15, 2015
Ladybank ranks in Scotland as one of the toughest courses for girls and ladies. It is officially rated 9th most difficult course from the ladies tees.
I took advantage today of a special October twilight green fee rate to revisit the course at Ladybank for the first time in seven years. It’s wasn’t nearly as flat as I remembered as there are some lovely subtle changes in elevation during the round, particularly on the testing stretch of par fours between the 14th and the home hole. Excepting the four par threes - which are rather disappointing, apart from the beautifully bunkered 10th - all the holes kink one way or the other, placing an absolute premium on ball placement off the tee. Greens are understated, lie of the land affairs with a few multi-tiered examples thrown into the mix for good measure – I particularly liked the stepped green at the 9th which lies behind a cunning dip in front of the putting surface. Every single links-like fairway was in pristine condition, allowing plenty of roll for tee shots and running approaches to pin positions. All in all, Ladybank’s one of the best inland tracks in the country however, if I look at the current Top100 chart positions for Fife, I really cannot see how it is placed higher than four others in the district, namely the Duke’s, Jubilee, Lundin and Leven. For me, it punches above its weight in the rankings but good luck to the club for doing so in such a competitive region of outstanding golf courses. Well worth an inland excursion away from the other 5-ball golf courses to be found around the coast of the Kingdom. Jim McCann.
October 19, 2011

Respond to above review
A pretty inland heathland course which I played in winds the likes of which Ladybank Golf Course - Photo by ReviewerI have only previously experienced on a coastal links. The course conditioning was excellent in September. Despite the flat land, the course offers a strong challenge with doglegs and dead ground aplenty and abundant heather. Unlike at other heathland courses finding your ball should not be too difficult, but not expecting too much of a shot played from the heather is best. From the 8th onwards the holes are excellent, with a particularly strong finishing stretch.
September 14, 2011

Respond to above review
Claims that this course is the greatest in-land course in Scotland are absolute non-sense. Admittedly it is very well manicured and excellently presented but these attributes alone do not elevate it to such a status. Given the lofty ranking I expected a very solid and memorable golf course but I am afraid that is not the case in the slightest. It was just over a month that I played and all I can remember are the 1st and the 18th holes. I have played approximately 20% of The Scottish top 100 courses and to date this has been the biggest disappointment by far. What augments my disappointment is that I am very pro “in-land course” and often find many of the traditional links courses to be overrated. After viewing the website and reading some of the previous reviews I did not expect Ladybank to be such a bland affair. If you want to play some fine in land courses head to the moorlands of North Glasgow.
April 28, 2011

AJ
April 29, 2011
You are talking absolute nonsense ! Bland it is most definitely not I suggest you have a rethink.
Boothie
May 01, 2011
I have to agree with AJ. It is an outstandingly beautiful course - and a fair test of golf - with memorable holes throughout. I can only suggest you get out of bed the other side on the day of a re-visit.
I strongly suspect that the Council/Committee meetings at Ladybank GC are very boring and uneventful. If not, what the heck could possibly be causing controversy or complaint? The course is lovely, the condition is tip-top, the setting is relaxed and secluded, the practice facilities are extensive and well-maintained, the pro-shop is well stocked, the changing facilities are spacious, the environs of the club are meticulous, the clubhouse is comfortable and welcoming and the bacon rolls are yummy. Everything about Ladybank radiates a quiet, and utterly justified, confidence. However, there ‘s no hint of complacency - for example, the young chap in the pro-shop (the assistant pro I guess?) was very professional and helpful with his “meet and greet” info. The Ladybank course is not massively long and it’s pancake flat but if you think it’s going to be easy just check out the qualifying scores for this year’s Open – the course was hardly ripped to shreds with two 68s qualifying, and a glance further down the score sheet shows Ladybank was more that a match for many of the aspiring Open competitors. Much as I appreciate the course I can’t quite bring myself to award six balls. There are many very good holes but I think two or three outstanding holes are required to take the course into the six ball category and the lack of natural elevation changes does lessen the impact a little. It’s a comfortable and strong five-baller – and when I was organising a wee birthday treat for my old man I took him to Ladybank knowing he would be impressed. He was. Anyone who isn’t impressed here is inhabiting a different golfing planet from me and my old man. Derek, Edinburgh, September, 2010.
September 21, 2010

Respond to above review
We played Ladybank on Sat 27th March on the off chance on a sunny saturday - 25 pounds each off season and full course playing. Lovely friendly course and excellent condition. Even at full price excellent value and something to remember. it's a beautiful place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV21qa7JgVw
May 09, 2010

Respond to above review
I played Ladybank in May of this year with a party of 8 golfers and whilst the golf course is indeed a very fine one the club need to be aware that there is more to the experience for the visitor than just the course itself. The day’s experience was soured by the general air of snobbery and frostiness exuded by the members and the staff (the catering staff aside). This was in mark contrast to the very warm welcome we received at both Crieff and Murrayshall and it is to these courses we will return when we visit the area again. Oh and for the green fee we paid we would not expect to stumble across a temporary green in play in May!
June 16, 2008

david groom
October 13, 2009
I find it a real suprise that you found the clubhouse anything other than welcoming, friendly, comfortable and fairly priced. I've played this course a dozen times, every time i've been in Scotland, partly because it such a good course but also because we've always had a top class welcome and servie in the clubhouse by friendly staff and members.
This is about as good as inland golf in Scotland gets. A beautifully varied course with heather framing each hole and being the major hazard. Some classic dogleg par fours stick in the memory and the setting and facilities are second to none. A course that I will come back to again and again.
April 01, 2008

Respond to above review
An fine inland course in the heart of Fife. The terrain is entirely flat but such is the excellent design that your interest is grabbed from the start and never flags. There are a host of challenging par 4s notably the demanding finish. Be sure to include Ladybank in any golfing trip to Fife.
February 19, 2006